Sunday, September 12, 2010

There Was an Old Woman

We've been enjoying our walks and our playground time this past week with the beautiful weather. We've taken a few different walking routes to see the sights and hear the sounds of the last few days of summer. We also took pictures of trees around our school so that we can compare them as the seasons change. We walked close to the pumpkin water tower and the children enjoyed that! In circle time, after our walk, we discuss what we saw and heard and we're learning a new song about September and about summer. We heard some insects that we think might be locusts so we read about the locusts and saw how they looked in our library book. Later on this week we'll learn a new song about the parts of an insect as we compare that to our body parts as we sing, Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes.

The children have a little book about the nursery rhyme, There was on Old Woman Who lived in a Shoe. They colored their books last week and we'll use them this week in circle so they can follow along as they learn the words. This week we'll start a new rhyme called:

My Ten Fingers
I have ten fingers-1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 (point as you count),
and they all belong to me (point to self).
They can do many things, would you like to see? (point to a child).
I can raise them up high (say in a high pitch as you raise your hands).
I can bring them down low (say in a deep voice as you lower your hands to the floor).
I can clap them in front (clap in front), I can put them behind (hide hands behind you).
I can creep them to the top of my head (crawl up your face), and jump them into my lap to hide (quickly move them to your lap and out of sight).

No comments:

Post a Comment